Monday, July 7, 2008

Day 36 - To market, to market...

In an earlier post, I talked about kids and marketing, and how it starts at such an early age. I came across a website that give a bit of information on this subject. Here are just a couple of facts, according to a poll by New American Dream:

American children aged 12 to 17 will ask their parents for products they have seen advertised an average of nine times until the parents finally give in.

More than half of the children surveyed (53%) said that buying certain products makes them feel better about themselves. The number is even higher among 12- to 13-year-olds: 62% say that buying certain products makes them feel better about themselves.

Nearly a third of those surveyed (32%) admitted to feeling pressure to buy certain products such as clothes and CDs because their friends have them. Over half of 12- to 13-year-olds (54%) admitted to feeling such pressure.

The marketing firms know that Nagging Kid = Buying Parent. They also know how to make kids believe that Stuff Will Make Your Life Better. (They know how to make adults believe that, too.) And they know that parents feel guilty when they can’t give their kids everything they want.

But there is definitely hope. Here’s a fact that’s really interesting:

According to that same poll, 57 percent of children age 9-14 would rather do something fun with their mom or dad than go to the mall to go shopping.

I feel bad that I’ve dragged my kids to the mall so many times. And I have a sneaking suspicion that part of the reason we walk out of there with so much stuff is because I feel guilty about taking them there, so I buy them things to make the experience more pleasant for them. And because the phrase, “Everybody else has one” really works on me. Hey, what can I say? My kids are becoming expert marketers.

(See http://www.newdream.org/kids/facts.php for more...)

Tip for Day 36 – Reward your kids with a fun outdoor activity rather than a trip to the mall.

No comments: